Very Interesting....

  • At the Renwick/Carlisle home, the back room had a rope bed. When a summer storm came up, all the children would gather on this bed since there were no metal springs. Grandma Emma would tell the children ghost stories to help keep their minds off the thunder and lightning.
  • One childhood memory of Margaret Kennedy Blakely, is of eight to ten hoes at the Renwick/Carlisle standing beside the fence idle because it was Sabbath. She was told that it was a sin to lift a hoe on the Sabbath Day.
  • Skeletons....On the floor of one of the buildings behind the R.C. Carlisle home, were parts of three skeletons. We were told they were the bones of slaves. Uncle Jimmy Washington Renwick used them. One other rumor was the Uncle Marcellus Renwick brought one skeleton back from Paris, France.  Perhaps some truth in both.
  • Emma's father, John Simpson Renwick's will states, "It is my will and desire that all my pictures in frames shall be allowed to remain in the parlor as long as any one of my descendants shall own the house."
  • Emma's wedding dress was made of cream colored alpaca. Her dress is still in the family.
  • Coleman and Emma kissed for the first time on the night they were married. She said he tried twice before, but she refused saying her Mother would not approve.
  • Coleman and Emma went to New York for their honeymoon and she lost her diamond ring in the Hudson River. She pointed at something and it fell off.  She also lost her second diamond ring in Tennessee in the grass and it was never found.
  • Sisters married Brothers, again!!.  Emma Renwick married Coleman Carlisle, her sister Rosa married Anderson Carlisle.  Nina Rosa Carlisle married William Meek Kennedy, her sister Elizabeth "Bessie" married Robert Moffatt Kennedy. They are the daughters of Rosa and Anderson.
  • John Renwick Carlisle, son of Coleman and Emma, was mildly retarded.  John's grandmother, Mary Toland Renwick, befriended him and the two became best friends. It is told that she would pray everyday to live long enough to see about him.  John died on Oct. 20, 1909 and Mary died on Oct. 21, 1909!
  • After the battle of Maryland Heights, during the Civil War, Coleman was left in charge of a military hospital on the field. While there he was captured and held a prisoner for two months. He was put in a dungeon in Baltimore and afterwards he was exchanged. At no time during the war did he lose from duty thirty days. For thirteen months, he never slept under the roof of a house.
  • At Chickamauga, Coleman had 325 wounded men under his solitary and individual charge at one time, with no medical assistance.

Back To Home Page

Have anything to add?  Please email me!